What makes a feminist?

What makes a feminist?

Thursday, February 25, 2010

disgusted

Woman live Tweets her abortion.

I just...I don't know WHAT to say to that. I've heard so many pro-choice people proclaim "oh, it's a private decision between a woman and her doctor!". You call this private? "I don't feel like I'm doing anything different from what I do every day," said Jackson. "But now I have people calling me a killer; it's surreal."

I really, really hope she doesn't mean that she considers taking the life of an unborn child an "every day" type of event. I can't believe even someone who is pro-choice would condone this. No...I take that back. I can. Plenty of women publicly proclaim that they're not sorry.

I wasn't one of those pro-choice women. Many years ago, I terminated a pregnancy. I didn't feel 'empowered', I didn't feel 'relieved'. I felt empty and hollow and sad and thought there was something wrong with me. After all, only weak-willed women regretted their abortions, right? I was supposed to be strong, in control of my own destiny, fiercely independent, every girl-power label.

Would I have twittered about my experience? Good golly no. I wanted to sweep it under the rug and pretend it never even happened. Later as I began to process my feelings about both the abortion and the father of my unborn child (he did not know until after the fact), I realized that I felt bad because I knew deep down I had not made the right choice. Would I dare admit it to any of my pro-choice friends? No. Admitting that some women regret their abortions is tantamount to claiming that all women are weak and need to be controlled by the patriarchy, apparently.


Something is terribly wrong in a society where we not only leave women feeling like they have no other choice but to abort, but treat it as a positive thing besides!

No comments:

Post a Comment